Recurrent nosebleeds accompanied by headache. Is there a correlation?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Is there a correlation between headaches and nosebleeds? I have always suffered from nosebleeds but doctors have attributed these to dry weather, etc. - they seem to come in spurts; two or three successive days and then they are gone for awhile. Lately, since starting college, they are accompanied by headaches. Any information to minimize both is appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Nosebleeds and headaches can be seen together in conditions like high blood pressure, migraines,allergy , bleeding disorder or anemia as a result of recurrent chronic nosebleeds.
Since you have been examined by your doctor I assume these conditions have been ruled out .
If you have no significant signs and symptoms like high blood pressure, dizziness , bleeding from gums , spontaneous bruises , fever etc it's less likely to be due to any serious illness . Since the headaches have started recently its possible that you could be having them as a consequence of recurrent nose bleeds causing anaemia Such condition can be diagnosed by your doctor by thorough examination and complete blood counts. Also maintaining a diary and noting the triggers for the attack may also be helpful to the doctor in confirming the diagnosis.
I would advise you to get thoroughly evaluated by a physician or an ENT surgeon who can rule out the significant causes and also start supportive treatment .
In your case though nothing seems to be much worrisome as of now , it's better to be safe than sorry.
So do discuss it with your doctor .meanwhile you should try the following for better relief,
1.Moisturise the nose with nose drops or ointments regularly.
2.avoid common triggers like stress, anxiety, strong sunlight , nose picking , very dry weather , food allergens etc
3. Remember to limit the time of nosebleeds with adequate first aid like pressure on the nose and Application of ice and topical decongestants
4. In case you develop any other new symptoms as mentioned above then seek prompt medical consultation.
Hope I have answered your query.