Ask a Dentist   »  

Recurrent mouth sore, looks like blister. What could be going on?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hello Doc,
For the past several months I have noticed a sore inside my mouth that resurfaces every so often without any consistency. It will then just go away on its own after several days. It has since resurfaced again but this time it actually looked more like a blister. It went away again on its own just about a day ago. I have taken a few pics for your review. What could be going on?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 13 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

The lesion which is shown in photograph appears to be due to traumatic bite, it’s called as Mucocele. If it has resolved on its own, do not worry. If it does not subside, then it has to be removed surgically by a dentist [a minor procedure]. While taking photographs of oral area please take in macro mode of the camera so that it’s clarity is not compromised.

But by your explanation of the earlier sore, it appears to be Apthous ulcer. If it is occurring on same site then local factors like sharp tooth has to be checked. If it is noticed all over the mouth then it is more likely to be Apthous ulcer. Even though the exact aetiology for Apthous ulcer is unknown, immunomodulation is said to be the cause. It is said to be more common in people with more psychological stress.

When it is noticed next time, take multivitamin capsules [which should include vitamin 'B', Zinc, antioxidants] for 10 days. Locally, apply a gel containing local anesthetic and antiseptic, which should be available as over the counter the medicine.

Rarely it is associated with constipation, if yes in your case then consult physician for the same.

Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further query I will be pleased to clarify, if not kindly accept the answer.

With regards,