Recurrent hives on back, legs, face, genital area. Taking benadryl. What is causing this?

Breaking out in hivesHello I'm a 21 year old female no past medical history or no allergies but I have had several recent episodes of Breaking out and hives for my back done my legs in the genital area to my face no problems breathing but very itchy I've taken benadryl relieve them but they do tend to come back any idea what's causing this or what I can do
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 59 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

If you have repeated hives and get better with Benadryl, it is surely a allergic problem.
If recurring, one needs to find the antigen causing it.
It can be anything from dust, pollen (not in your case) to medicines, cosmetics, fabrics etc.
Just keep a watch on what usually brings it on. What new things you have used/ applied?

You can go for a non-sedative anti-allergic drug like fexofenadine (Allegra) 120 mg once a day.

I may suggest a consultation with an allergy specialist or a skin specialist and occasionally allergen testing with skin allergy tests is advised,

Calamine lotion application locally may help soothen the severe itchy areas.

Avoid things that you suspect bring it on one by one (elimination method).

Severe allergy may cause life threatening manifestations like breathlessness, bronchospasm, low BP and sometimes death from severe anaphylaxis.

Be watchful of these and seek medical attention.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!