Recurrent dry cough, sore throat, swollen tonsils, fever. Had loss of voice. Taking cough syrup, advil. Need further treatment?

I have a dry hacking cough and sore throat that has lasted for three weeks. Just got over loss of voice. Last night I ran a low grade fever and now have a runny nose. The sore throat and cough have been reaccuring over the past 3 months. My tonsils are swollen, phlem is white and light yellow. Cough is worse in morning and night. I do not smoke or drink heavy. Treatment: cough syrup, hot lime and honey, Advil, vit C etc. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

You are telling me that you were having dry cough with sore throat for three weeks and since last night you have developed low grade fever, swollen tonsil, now you are getting phlegm of white color.
You are also telling me that you are having on and off sore throat since 3 months as well.

From your query I interpret that you may be suffering from recurrent tonsillitis. The treatment which you are taking right now is not adequate to treat the condition.

Please follow these advises:

1. XXXXXXX an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) surgeon for a local examination. A throat swab with culture and microscopy is essential along with Chest X XXXXXXX PA view.

2. Antibiotics like amox with clavulanic acid must be started in your case since you are running low grade temperature and throwing yellowish phlegm. An antihistamine like levocetrizine will also help with the cough and running nose. Please ask your doctor for a prescription. Please do not consider this as my prescription to you.

3. Continue taking cough syrup. Also salt water gargle three times daily, betadine gargles are a better option but they taste bad.

4. Keep your hands clean, wash them frequently. This will prevent further infections substantially. Protect yourself well from cold weather.

5. Do not drink cold foods or beverages until you fully recover.

6. Avoid spicy food, milk and milk products like cheese, butter, etc.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery.