Recurrent cold, running nose. Should I get a complete check-up done?

I have been suffering from severe cold and running nose for a while now. So it goes and keeps coming back this has been occuring recently for a month now. THis has never happened to me before and I haven't visited a doctor as I thought this is something small and should go away on its own. Please advice if I should get a complete check-up done coz this could mean something is wrong with my immune system. Please help!
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 50 minutes later
Thanks for writing in,
It seems that you could be having Allergic rhinitis which is leading to your symptoms. This basically happens when you are allergic to something and this causes sneezing, cough etc.
The treatment for this would be:
a.     Keep a symptom diary to document when the symptoms get worse. Also, try and note the change in your activities and the change in your environment when your symptoms get worse. This will help you identify what you are allergic to. Common allergens are dust, smoke, pollen etc Avoiding this would help you avoid these symptoms
b.     Take Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once a day when the symptoms get bad. This will help you relieve your symptoms.
c.     You can also Otrivin nasal drops twice-thrice daily. This will greatly help the nasal congestion
d.     Tulsi-ginger tea and steam inhalation will also greatly relieve your symptoms
Hope that helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.