Recurrent boils. Taken antibiotics. Serious issue?

I am suffering from boils/abscess. It is happening with me from last 3 months on regular intervals. I have taken some antibiotic medicine and got no relief. Pleae tell me is there some serious.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 5 hours later

I can understand your concern.

Getting boils or abscesses could indicate that the bacteria causing it is not responsive to medications you are taking, or you are harbouring the bacteria in areas of body like arm pits, nose or groins.

It could also be mrsa, its a bacteria which is resistant to usual course of antibiotics given.

Also diabetics can get recurrent boils or abscess.

Its not serious but definitely needs prompt treatment.

I would recommend that you get the puss from the abscess tested, your doctor will be able to do that.

That will indicate the type of bacteria present and the antibiotics it is responsive to.

Also you can get your blood sugar tested.

Depending on the results of the above tests, your doctor can suggest an appropriate line of treatment.

Please let me know if you have any queries.