Ask a Urologist   »  

Recurrent UTIs after kidney infection, want to stop antibiotic cycles, flank pain, burning micturition, chills. Other avenues?

I have had recurrent Urinary Tract Infections since I had a horrible kidney infection in August. I keep going to the doctor but they put me on 10 days of antibiotics retest my urine and call it good. I have one again and would like to know how to stop this cycle. I am being tested for intersticial cystitis of the bladder but I really feel their may be a problem with my kidneys as well since I get bilateral flank pain a lot as well. My current symptoms are (and on day 5 of Keflex) burning during urination, flank pain, headache, fatigue, started off with a fever now my temp has been 97 degrees or below, also experiencing chills. Is there any other avenue I can pursue? I am sick of being sick.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

You seem to be suffering from recurrent due to Diabetes.
Diabetic women are at a higher risk of developing to urinary tract infection (UTI) as compared to non-diabetic women. The risk of UTI increases with any negative change in the immune system of the body. Diabetes, like many other disorders, affects the immune system, increasing the risk of a urinary tract infection.

There are chances that the infection could affect your kidneys too as you are suspecting. The most rare types of UTI like pyelonephritis, widespread infections, abscesses, inflammation of the bladder wall, occur mostly in diabetic individuals.

All the symptoms mentioned by you are seen in urinary tract infection.

Although the symptoms of interstitial cystitis are similar to those of a urinary tract infection, cultures do not identify bacteria or viruses in the urine of people with interstitial cystitis, and antibiotic therapy does not improve the condition.The doctors are suspecting that there might be a possibility of interstitial cystitis.

To prevent recurrent infections due to Diabetes, you will have to maintain your blood sugar levels in normal range.
If they are normal, your chances of infection also lowers.

Till then maintain hygiene, regular blood check ups and diet control with exercises will help you in the long run.

Consult Nephrologist to find out any involvement of Kidney, so that necessary investigations can be done.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.