Rectal bleeding, blood in stools, ecoli poisoning. Leukemia or colon cancer ?

Hi, I am concerned about some symptoms I am having.
I am 20 and in February I contracted ecoli poisoning, since then i have had bleeding from the rectum and in my stools. I have had a sigmoidoscopy that came back revealing nothing serious but my doctor has ordered that I have a colonoscopy to check that there is nothing further up in the bowel causing the bleeding. Firstly I am very worried I have colon cancer even though I am only 20. Secondly since I caught the ecoli have been brusing quite easily, i have had lots of blood tests and clotting screens which have all been normal. Some times i get night sweats too. So I am worried that this may be leukemia causing all this and its not been picked up by the blood tests. I have not lost weight and feel okay in myself.
So basically I want to know the chances of this all being caused by some cancer and if a blood test would have missed leukemia.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

If the bleeding profile and platelets count is normal, the issue discussed has no likelihood of having resulting from blood cancer or leukemia.

Leukemia is diagnosed from a bone marrow test. The bleeding in leukemia is due to loss of platelet production from bone marrow or due to sepsis that consumes coagulation factors.

I hope my answer clarifies some of your issues. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to follow up.