Rectal bleeding after a bowel movement in rectom and tail bone, painful. Colonoscopy done. Bone scan needed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
About a week ago I had a small amount of rectal bleeding and pain after bowel movements in my rectom and tailbone. I had a colonoscopy today and it was normal. I woke last night after having a bowel movement and had pain in my rectum and tailbone area. The doctor said I have XXXXXXX and external hemorrhoids but doesn't think this would cause pain in my tailbone area. My lower back near my tailbone has been hurting today after my colonoscopy. I called my doctor back and she said if I was really worried she would order a bone scan. This will cost me $300.00 so I don't know if I should wait a week or so and see if the pain will go away since I have only had it a week. What do you think.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the tail bone might happen due to its inflammation or mild dislocation of coccyx. This is not a medical emergency.
You can wait for a week to get it investigated. Meanwhile for symptomatic relief, you can follow these measures-
1. Do not sit on any hard surface like a bench.
2. Warm sitz bath will relieve your pain and inflammation.
3. Take mild pain killer like motrin ( ibuprofen) thrice daily after meals.
4. You can also apply local analgesic gel to the area.
If the above said measures do not provide relief then you must proceed with the bone scan to find out the reason of this pain.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.