Recovering from stomach flu. Getting bouts of hiccups. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I've had a stomach virus or stomach flu for four days now. The worst is over, but I'm still getting bouts of hiccups, lasting as much as 20 minutes. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 23 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
You shouldnt worry. Hiccups are often experienced after stomacg flu or any gastroenterocolitis. Because uf these conditions there is more fluid and air accumulation in stomach which sits underneath and adjacent to the diaphragm. so distended stomach then irritated diaphragm and nerves around it and this is a reason for hiccups. 7-10 days after stomach flu is necessary for full stomach mucosa recovery and then you can expect improvement. Till that try not to eat and drink too quickly,avoid alcohol and smoking. Emotional stress or excitement can make it worse as well .

Remember, if it causes health problems such as speech changes or interference with eating, sleepingor breathing,you should visit doctor. If you want to stop hiccups attack you can try some of described technques such as holding your breath, drink glass of water quickly, swallow one-half teaspoon of dry sugar or honey.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"