Recovering from fractured toe. Got severe pain and unable to put pressure on it. Normal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I fractured my 4th toe (oblique fracture of proximal pharanx) 2 and half weeks ago! Last 5 days were great, I could stand walk and it was fine! This morning I woke up and the pain is severe and can not even put pressure on foot! Is this normal? It's worse than the pain I got when I initially broke it!
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Obvously your toe wasnt immobilized. SOmetimes we use flaster imobilization or special metalic wire for it. In most cases 6 weeks of resting are required for complete bone healing. After injury pain depends on many factors.Pain is increasing and decreasing depending on phase of healing. Even weather changes can provoke pain. YOu could have had new trauma while sleeping as well. No matter what it is such fractures heal very good and you shouldnt be concerned. Take some of classic pain killers and if you notice deformity or toe inflammaton go to hospital.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"