Recovering from flu infection. Having muscle pain and feeling tired. Is this normal?

Sep 2012

Hello, I had flu B two weeks ago. Headache, sore throat, cough and muscle aches. I have now recovered from all symptoms except the muscle aches. It seems my muscle aches are little more compared to when they first started. I get all over muscle aches after doing activities and a little tired. Can you please let me know if this is normal after the flu? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, Flu is a viral disease. It makes the patient very week even for months.

In your case, weakness due to the disease, is leading to this type of body aches even after subsidence of all the other symptoms. It is quite common after a flu infection. It is normal to have this type of body aches after a flu.

But, you should be cautious about reinfection with other viruses. If you experience any other symptoms like fever and rash you have to consult with your treating doctor immediately.

In this condition you have to do the followings.

1.     Take adequate rest.
2.     Take plenty of water.
3.     Take a balanced nutritious diet. Try to have some fresh fruits regularly.
4.     You can take a multivitamin agent which will help to overcome this type of weakness.
5.     Take paracetamol group of drug only to get relief from this body aches. Do not take any other medication.

Lastly, if you do not get relief after following the above mentioned instructions for 15 days, you have to consult with your treating doctor in person for clinical examination.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Recovering from flu infection. Having muscle pain and feeling tired. Is this normal? 31 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I will follow your suggestions and follow up with my doctor if aches continue. All my aches are now in my arms, legs, joints and my breast. Would this still follow under normal following the flu? No fever or rash.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, as I have told already, you can experience this type of bodyache following flu.

So, do as I have told.

Hope you have your answers.