Recovering from cold, dry cough. Can go for face-lift?

Can I still get my facelift if I i'm recovering from a cold. I have no fever just a dry cough-mild. My doctor said my lungs sounded clear.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhika 6 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

You are suffering from cold and you are about to undergo a facelift.

One week before surgery you are not supposed to take any medicines for cold. Sometimes a cough or cold may disrupt a procedure, so it is better to get this done when you do not have these symptoms. Normally doctors avoid doing these procedures when you have cold or cough, if the doctors approve for the procedure after doing physical examination and chest x XXXXXXX then it is fine.

There are other medications you have to avoid before surgery like:

1. Avoid aspirin or aspirin containing compounds and Ibuprofen for 3 weeks prior to surgery and 1 week after surgery.

2. Do not take Sudafed or Actifed for 3 days prior to surgery or appetite suppressants such as phentermine and ephedrine for at least 3 weeks prior to surgery.

3. Thyroid medication may interact with the anesthetic solution and cause a rapid heart rate.

4. Do not drink alcohol (including wine) or take mood-altering drugs or substances 7 days prior to surgery; this may cause excessive bleeding or interact with the anesthetic drugs.

5. Please discontinue all herbal medications.

6. NO SMOKING because nicotine reduces blood flow to the skin and can cause significant complications during healing.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.