Recovering from cold and cough. Has low body temperature and weakness. What to do?

My 90 year old husband is recovering from a cold. He has low body temperature (about 97 degrees). He feels weak and is not regaining his strength. He has phlegm in his throat and coughs. Thank you very much for your help on this.
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sounds like an infection; may require medication Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Based on the provided information, it sounds like your husband has a respiratory tract infection. At his age this would be common ma'am, but you should also know that in most cases these infections are either bacterial or viral in nature. Viral infections may subside on their own, but the bacterial ones require antibiotic coverage. These antibiotics help in killing the infection-causing organism, thus reducing the phlegm (which is considered foreign in the lungs) which in turn causes the irritation and cough. In my opinion, it would be helpful and relieving for sir (your husband) to visit a doctor (especially if he has his medical insurance) and request for an examination, and treatment accordingly. At the doctors, you may request for a sputum analysis and culture in order to ensure rapid and effective treatment. If you or your husband do not wish to visit the doctors, for some reason, they try to get your hands on some expectorant syrup ma'am. This along with sips of lukewarm water through the day will help expel the phlegm/sputum, but this will be more time consuming, and less effective than medication. Also, provide him with a high-protein and liquid diet which should help him in regaining his strength. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am. I wish you and sir, nothing but the best in health and wealth. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications ma'am, I would be more than happy to help. God bless.