Recovering from bronchitis, sinus infection. Have sjogren's syndrome. Found white cell. Lymphoma?

Oncologist, Radiation
I am recovering from bronchitis and a sinus infection. I also have Type One Sjogren's Syndrome. My doctor took a chest xray and a CBC blood test. He said the xray was fine but my white cell count was a little low and this could be caused from the virus. I am very concerned about Lymphoma since I understand Sjogren's can cause this. I am presently taking Keflex and Cheratussin for cough. Neither seems to be helping much.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later
You are suffering from Sjogren's syndrome. This syndrome is a systemic autoimmune disease where immune complex destroy the exocrine gland and causing dryness.
Blood level of antinuclear antibody and rheumatoid factor are estimated. Specific diagnosis can be made by SSB/La pattern of XXXXXXX

Sjogren's Syndrome is often associated with other autoimmune diseases like SLE, scleroderma, and primary biliary cirrhosis.

Anyway, conservative management is the mainstay of treatment in this disease.
Many monoclonal antibodies have been tried; most promising seemed to be anti CD-20 rituximab and anti CD-22 epratuzumab.

Now to answer your specific query, yes, Sjogren's Syndrome has increased chance of developing lymphoma especially marginal zone lymphoma. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma may also be a possibility.

So you should inform your doctor in case of any abnormal swelling. MALT lymphoma in the salivary gland is also a possibility.

But let me assure you slight decrease in WBC (white blood cell) count has no relation with suspicion of lymphoma diagnosis. You should be on regular follow up by your rheumatologist. In case of any suspicion tissue diagnosis can be ordered and treatment can be given.

Presently you are on cefalexin (first generation cephalosporin; an antibiotic) and an antitussive + mocolytic combination. These are not responsible for the decreased WBC count also.
So you should not be worried right now. Consult your physician for better guidance.

Hope this has answered your query. I will be available for follow up.