Recovering from back injury. Is it safe to do exercise? How to get rid of the muscle spasm?

Hi sir,
I am recovering from back injury, which was a disk injury. I have been rehabbing for a month or so. Now, i have been jogging 5 times a week. I have been working diligently on my back and abdominal muscles under a physiotherapist.I wanted to now since my back is feeling better now, can i incorporate some body-weight leg exercises such as free squats, lunges etc? I am an athlete and i run track and field. Now, when i jog for 10- 15 mints, i feel quite good but i get muscle spasm sometimes in my left hip and right hip. I take a ice bath and massage my hips and lower back with Voltaren gel. Is there anything i should worry? Also, i want to know what can i do to get rid of the muscle spasm permanently?
*** Back injury: lower disk moved a little and started compressing a nerve. Also, had sciatica problem few days back***
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 25 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Good to hear that you are resuming your exercise with a quite fit body and back. But since you are a young athlete and had a recent back injury you have to do as much work out as you body or back allow you. Excess can increase your problem. Your Physiotherapist doing a good job continues following the instructions.

As per the muscle spam is concern this can be due to back injury (nerve compression). Consult your treating doctor and get a clearance from him. Rest of the reason for spam will recover as you increase your exercise and stamina and finally get rid from the spasm permanently. Only thing you have to clear that you back injury is not causing the spasm, unless you have to give some more time to recover your back injury.

You can start with squats and other exercise with minimum weight and if feel any type of pain than immediately stop exercising and take complete rest. Always bear Lumbosacral belt while exercising.
Other instructions you have to follow to get a pain less spine are:
1. Use hard bed to sleep, avoid pillow if not possible can use thin pillow.
2. Your sitting posture should be straight and have to be changed every half hourly.
3. Avoid jerky movements of back. Avoid riding bicycle or motorcycle as much as you can.
4. You can take analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs orally or can apply gel locally to reduce pain. Hot fermentation can help. As you are doing for muscle spasm pain
5. Wear Lumbosacral belt while standing, walking and driving and if symptoms are worse.

Hope you got answer to all your queries. Write back if you have any further query.
Best Wishes and have speedy recovery.
Dr. Kulbir Singh