Recovering from acute pancreatitis, fluid in lung, cold. Can this be serious?

Question
My 73 year old Diabetic Mother is recovering from acute pancreatitis. There is a little bit of fluid in her right lung. I'm afraid I may have given her a cold. Can this be serious?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Radhika 38 minutes later

You mother is suffering from Acute Pancreatitis, she also has diabetes.

Do not worry if you have passed her a cold, (even if you have) she can be treated and this will not affect her prognosis. Nor has she got fluid in her lungs due to this, this is mainly due to Acute pancreatitis. The main thing is to get her treated for Pancreatitis.

Acute attack usually follows recent alcohol consumption or gallstone which blocks off a duct of the pancreas. Other causes will be abdominal surgery, heart and lung bypass Surgery (which your mother did undergo 6 yrs back), trauma, worm infestation like ascaris infestation, duodenal Obstruction, medications and rarely Cancer of the Pancreas.

It could be caused by any of the factors mentioned above. The cause may even be impossible to identify.

In severe cases, fluid will accumulate in the lung space. If the lungs, kidneys, or bowel is involved, the patient could deteriorate. Since she has a small amount of fluid it is important that is cleared and all her blood pancreatic levels like lipase and serum amylase are under control. It is also important her inflammation levels like C-reactive protein, white blood cell count and metabolic panel are normal then it can be considered that she is recovering.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Recovering from acute pancreatitis, fluid in lung, cold. Can this be serious? 12 hours later
Thanks for the answer. My Mom does not drink alcohol. So I'm not sure what triggered the attack. Can a rhino virus survive on a popsicle? About 36 - 41 degrees? My Mom is currently in a nursing home/rehab center and I'm just worried the cold could spread.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 13 hours later

The fluid in the lung is gradually absorbed. It is important to maintain aseptic conditions around her to prevent pneumonia.

I doubt a rhino virus can survive on a popsicle because it can only survive around 33 degree centigrade.

Since a lot is not studied on such organisms I suggest better you wait till you are treated from the cold, otherwise there is possibility of spreading to your mother. It can spread through sneezing, coughing, fomites etc..