Recovering from a fracture of the tibia and fibula. Is it safe to drive vehicle?

Hi I am recovering from a fracture of the tibia and fibula which had open reduction surgery of the lower left leg with plates and screws inserted. I had a cast for just over 6 weeks and now a boot/brace for another 6-7 weeks with light weight bearing. It's now been 2 months and 12 days since my surgery and I wanted to know if it's okay to drive my automatic car as I don't need my supported left leg for the controls of the right drive vehicle? I would have asked my surgeon but won't be seeing him for another 4 weeks and I'm feeling great and wanting to get around a little more to get some groceries from the shops.
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 26 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Since you don't need supported leg for controls, it would be fine to drive vehicle. However it is better if you can ask one of your friend or relative to drive around while you are around; just to be on the safer side. Further, do take care while shopping, as you are likely to weight bear more than desired.

Hope that answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.