Recovering from a flu like virus. Severe pain in quad, upper arms and swelling wrist and ankle. Is this just a virus?

Hello, I am recovering from a flu-like virus I contracted 8 days ago. Even though my fever is gone I still have severe pain in my quads and upper arms with swelling in wrists and ankles. I feel stiff in my fingers. Whenever I have to use any of the aforementioned muscles it's not pleasant. Is this just the virus? This pain has lasted all week.
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be reactive arthritis

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

After the flu or some other illnesses, a condition called reactive arthritis can develop.

Reactive arthritis is inflammation of the joints that occur as a reaction to an infection elsewhere in the body.

The symptoms may vary from mild swelling and discomfort to more severe symptoms that can last a few months.

This can be treated with rests and the use of aspirin, ibuprofen, cataflam, celebrex. These should be used on a full stomach.

If the joints are very swollen and do not respond to the above medication then your doctor may consider removal of the fluid in the joints or the use of a steroid into the joint.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions