Recovered from viral infection of lung. Feeling obstruction when swallowing. What should I do now?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I recovered 10 days back from a viral infection of lung. Was having severe cough with produce which has completely subsided now after medication. Now I find a slight obstruction when I swallow food. I feel this not in the throat but below the neck and in the upper chest region.i don't have pain but feel as if something blocks the food on it's way down. Also having light acidity at times. It is nearly 4-5 days since I had this and although it is not disturbing me greatly I do feel uncomfortable. What should I do, should I avoid certain food or take some medication for a few days.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your problem indicates possibility of dysphagia. It may occur due to many diseases. But your history does not reveal anything. A viral infection usually does not lead to this type of diseases.

For this problem, you have to consult with a general surgeon first for a detailed clinical examination. If anything suspicious is found, a barium swallow study should be considered to look for any stricture or any lesion that is giving rise to this type of problem.

In case of negative barium swallow study, endoscopy and other imaging studies should be considered.

You have to take a lansoprazole group of drug in empty stomach before breakfast.

Lastly, you have to consult with a general surgeon for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have anymore question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Recovered from viral infection of lung. Feeling obstruction when swallowing. What should I do now? 1 hour later
Can I try some medication for a week before proceeding to XXXXXXX a general surgeon. I usually have acidity symptoms after food as I can feel some acid reflux at times. To be honest, I am hoping it will resolve on it's own as it has developed very suddenly.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, this type of problems can develop suddenly. So, this does not add any advantage and do not indicate any spontaneous resolution. In case spontaneous resolution, you may experience recurrence.

So, if you neglect it you may face more sever problems in future. Prevention is always better than cure.

Now, i have already told that you have to take a lansoprazole group of drug. Apart from that, you can take an enzyme group of syrup before taking meal.

For a detailed prescription, you have to consult with your treating doctor.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.