Recovered from high fever and have low body temperature. Is this normal?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had a fever of 102 over the weekend. The fever is gone but now my body temp is low 96.8. What could cause this??
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Low body temperature is commonly seen after a bout of high fever subsides.

2. This may be due to the combined action of the medications (which may be continued even after the fever) and the body itself trying to control the fever. Another common reason is fatigue and exhaustion.

3. A long as the fever does not relapse and this hypothermia goes away in a few days, there is no cause for worry.

4. Keep a local physician's informed.

5. Use warm clothing and drink warm liquids.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Recovered from high fever and have low body temperature. Is this normal? 13 hours later
The only medication I took was Motrin/Tylenol. Woukd these cause this??

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Motrin and Tylenol is a potent combination.

2. These medication would cause this as outlined above.

3. There is no cause for worry.

Regards.