Recovered from heart attack. Taking storvas, clavix and metolar. Need to take these medications lifelong?

Hello doctor,
i am unmarried male 30 years. Last year i had heart attack, although i have recovered now. As i have stoped smoking, drinking & even also not taking non-veg also.
I am worried because day by day my weight is getting increased.
I have to eat medicines life long???write now i taking storvas 40 mg, clavix As 150mg metolar xr 50mg
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 26 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
At any age following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. If you are young then there is unfortunate phenomenon of tracking of risk of factors from adolescence to adulthood, so it becomes risk of future heart disease if these are not controlled. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying (Star means you have the risk factor, +/- means I do not know and about others you know better.

Diabetes     +/-                         
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style*
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component*
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%, Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab
HDL below 40 mg% for men and 50 mg% for women

Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease +/-
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45*

From the list, above you have dyslipidemia and Hypertension with obesity and possible sedentary life style and ex smoker, consult your doctor; he may monitor your drugs and he may also advise you about diet low in calories and cholesterol, advise you on quantum of exercise. You ought to keep your weight under control for you do not want other attack. If you like non vegetarian you can not take red meat but there is no bar on egg white, roasted chicken and roasted fish. For the time being you will have to take medicines and in a year or so, once you have mastered the diet and exercise, your drugs shall be minimized for prevention purpose only. Gaining weight is surely going to delay cutting the medicine intake.

If you have any followup query I shall be happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover