Recovered from dengue fever. Having hair loss problem. What could be done?

i contracted dengue fever in east timor 2 months ago. I ahve recently notice my hair is falling out in large chuncks.
i am a 50 year old female. This morning was exceptionally bad
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Indirectly caused by dengue fever

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

I am sorry to hear that you contracted Dengue fever while in East Timor 2 months back but glad to know that you have recovered since. Dengue fever never causes hair loss nor does it directly affect the hair follicles. The hair loss is due to the effect Dengue fever has caused on your system.

There is a condition called telogen effluvium, which is characterized by a general acute loss of hair. Telogen effluvium usually occurs after a bad shock to the body and, in this setting, represent temporary interruption of the normal growth cycle of the hair follicles. Dengue fever, especially a severe case, could be the 'severe shock to the system' that is necessary to cause telogen effluvium.

I would suggest that you consult a dermatologist at the earliest and have yourself examined clinically. They can examine your scalp and hair loss pattern and help determine what is going on. If this turns out to be telogen effluvia, it fortunately tends to get better on its own and not require intensive medical treatment. If not, another potential cause for your hair loss must be investigated for and that might require additional investigations and possible medications.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor