Recommended vaccine for two types of mites and skin allergy. Treatment effective?

Allergist and Immunologist
I went to an allergist and he recommended a vaccine to immunize against two types of mites that test as XXXXXXX and skin allergy was found, I would like to know if the treatment is effective, and I'm seeing an air purifier and special anti-dust mite covers are there others indications?
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 4 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

What your allergist referred to was immunotherapy against house dust mite (HDM). Normally two types of mites D pteronyssinus and D farinae cause maximum allergies and if optimal medical therapy is not sufficient to control the symptoms, immunotherapy is recommended.

Immunotherapy is of two forms - subcutaneous (injections under the skin) and sublingual (drops under the tongue). The injection form is slightly superior with regards to efficacy but entails several hospital visits. With sublinugual immunotherapy, you can do this at home and the schedule will be decided as per the product.

You can certainly continue on antihistamines and nasal sprays while on immunotherapy, including getting anti-dust mite covers and air purifiers to lower amount of exposure.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.