Recommended to take proton pump medicine. Having nausea and very little acid. What is prokienetic agent? Advise?

Bipolar, On (per day) Topiramate: 200 Cymbalta : 120 Abilify: 10 Ativan: 2 Thorazine (varies): 100-200.

ALso on pain meds for lymphangiesctasia, an intestinal defect: Fentanyl patch 75mcg q 3 days,
Norco 10/325 qid prn, hyscyamine er 0.325 q12h cramping phenergan 25mg q4prn nausea

Synthroid 0.2mg asa 325 one qd

Can I take valerian to sleep, or is there something better (not benadryl--makes me sick!)
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prokinetic agent increase motility of stomach

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I hope you are feeling better.

Proton pump inhibitor and prokinetic agent both will help in nausea or vomiting. Also proton pump inhibitor will help in decreasing gastrointestinal secretions which will prevent further loss of nutrients from gastrointestinal tract.

Prokinetic agent improves or increase in motility of the stomach. So food will stay for lesser time in stomach so they help in improving nausea and vomiting, moreover they also strengthen the lower oesophageal sphincter

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.