Recommend type of specialist for EIA,asthma and allergies

Recommended type of Specialist? Since Sports Med seems Orthopedic oriented, I'm guessing Pulmonologist. What used to be mild EIA, triggered only by intense effort (Running, Biking, Swimming, X-C Ski) changed to more of a shut down mode. Even 2 ProAir puffs prior to start does not help. Have to be near (90-95%) Lactate or Anaerobic threshold for 10-20 min to trigger. Then cycling watts and HR both drop fast, and cannot get enough oxygen to avoid sharp drop, at all. Takes a long time at very conservative effort (50-60% Lactate Threshold to have any hope of recovery. XXXXXXX Protocol Cardio Stress Test normal, but maxed out at 18-19 min. Was not at high levels long enough to trigger problem. EKG and all other tests normal. First ever occurrence was March 2013, one month after getting over first ever UTI. Coincidence? (This was the only thing different that I could determine.) Better now, but can still occasionally be an issue, under high, sustained effort circumstances.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Your symptoms are ainly because of EIA. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX I am a pulmonologist and I`ll try and answer your query on EIA, asthma and allergies. But I may not be the right person to comment on lactate or anaerobic threshold or cycling watts etc. You may have to consult a sports medicine expert for this. As mentioned, you do have EIA which means you have asthma which may get triggered any time by various allergens around you. You are taking ProAir which seem to be helping you. If you have only EIA, you should take it 10 to 15 min before any kind of strenuous activity. But if you have more persistent or recurrent symptoms, I suggest you take another inhaler like foracort/formonide. You may also take a tablet called montair lc. Consult your physician for proper dosing and technique of taking inhalers. Any infection in the body can be a trigger for bronchospasm esp in a person with known history of allergy.