Recommend the best treatment for lymphodema in leg?

ENT Specialist
Please could you recommend the best treatment for lymphodema in my leg it is 3inches bigger than my other leg all thr way to my foot
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Lymphedema - a condition of localized fluid retention and swelling of the tissues can cause pain, skin changes, infection and so on. The cause is obstruction of the lymphatic system. The obstruction can be triggered by different reasons which need to be identified.

Proper management involves treating the cause as well as relieving the symptoms. The following measures can be helpful:
- Pressure garment can be worn on the affected limb
- Bandages
- Skin care
- Compression device
- Plan to reduce weight.
- Massage therapy
- In addition the cause of lymphedema can be treated by proper medication or surgery.

Discuss with your treating physician about these options and plan your treatment accordingly.

One can monitor the treatment / determine the disease progression by measuring the calf circumference using a tape. You can keep a record of it while on treatment to allow monitoring the effects.

I hope this answers your query. I am here for any future query and follow ups if any.

Follow-up: Recommend the best treatment for lymphodema in leg? 14 hours later
What medication can you suggest ,what would the surgery involve ? I've got support stockings and have leg massage .
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 2 hours later
Hi again,

Well the aim of treatment of lymphedema is to control the swelling, improve movement and other problems like infections caused by it. There is no definite drug regimen for the same.

You can take special care for the skin, massages are done by physiotherapists / occupational therapists. Do note to XXXXXXX a doctor for antibiotics to prevent full blown infections. I do not think specific drugs are recommended to manage lymphoedema.

Surgery is done in cases of severe lymphedema to remove excess tissue in the affected body part. Your doctor is the best judge.