Recommend safe dosage of folic acid during pregnancy

Mar 2013
My wife is 3months pregnant and she has taken 10 mg of folic acid daily for the past three months. I read it on online that 10mg is higher does. Not sure whether it may cause any problem. Please advise?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: NOT A PROBLEM NOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Normally, for pregnant ladies, the recommended dosage is 400 microgram per day, that is 0.4 mg. per day. For women at high risk of having abnormality in babies, daily 4 mg per day is recommended. Your wife has certainly been taking more than double the recommended dosage. Was it taken on prescription ? Folic acid overdose however is unheard of virtually. For symptoms and side effects of overdose to occur, consumption should occur for a long period of time.. over more than 6 months to a year. The signs would include psychotic behaviour , irritability, diarrhoea, vomiting, rash, tremors, depression, allergic reactions on the face, mouth etc. As she is exhibiting none of these, do not worry. If there is no previous history ( previous abnormal or malformed baby, prior abortions, family history of abnormal babies ) - then she can continue with 400 microgram per day dose. From the 4th month onwards, standard iron tablets are available which combine this dose with the iron content, so she can take these now. So do not worry about the mistake now. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Recommend safe dosage of folic acid during pregnancy 21 hours later
Thanks for your quick reply. The doctor prescribed to take 5 mg(Follinal) daily. However we misunderstood and took twice. There is no previous history of miscarriages and also she didnt have any over dos symptoms other than tiredness. I think this will not affect both mother and the child(just took USG and everthing is alright in the report)
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the appreciation. Yes, I also think she is perfectly alright. Do not worry at all.