Recommend options for combined vaccination

Question
Good Morning Doctor, I have some queries regarding the vaccination of my new born baby born on 21-October-2013. 1. On 09-Nov-13, he was given BCG + 1 dose of OPV 2. On 11-Dec-13, he was given 1st dose of HepB + 2nd dose of OPV 3. Now on coming 11-Jan-14, the scheduled vaccine is DTap-1 + Hib-1 + HepB-2+ OPV-3. Now here some one suggested to go for combined vaccine as it is painless and no fever will come. Also some Ped. suggests that DTap should not be combined with HepB vaccine and to be administered separately. Now considering the above doses which are already given please suggest me the best option for combined vaccine for upcoming doses. Regards, XXXX Mumbai
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pentoxim+hepatitis B is better choice. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on health care magic. I understand your problem. Nowadays we are to give multiple vaccines at different intervals and combinations. It is quite confusing not only to patients but also to doctors. These schedules are getting up dated every year. In the light of 2013 august recommendations of IAP the suitable and most convenient schedule for your baby is: On 11th XXXXXXX 2014......Inj pentoxime and inj Hepatitis B to be given at 2 different sites (preferably anterolateral aspect of the thigh) simultaneously. On 11th feb 2014......Inj petoxime only. The third dose of Hepatitis B is recommended between 6th-18th month. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics

Follow-up: Recommend options for combined vaccination 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply/suggestion sir. Sir, Is it required to give rotavirus vaccine (though it is optional i know) on 11-Jan-14. If yes then how to administer the same combined or seperatly like HepB as you said. Regards,

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Rotavirus vaccine given is separately orally. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking followup question on health care magic. There are 2 types of Rota virus vaccines, 1.Rotarex(RV1) given orally 2 times on 10th and 14th weeks. 2.Rotatex given orally on 6th, 10th and 14 weeks (3 doses). Even though optional it is advisable to give Rota vaccine. It is given separately like Hepatitis B. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics