Recommend medicine for knee pain in typhoid fever

Dear doctor , I suffered by typhoid fever 2 months before and recovered within 10days .After 10days of fever my right knee pain & swelling , left knee pain.I showed to ortho .He suggested medicines.It is not recovered till now.Pls advice to what to do & how to recover my pain.
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of reactive arthropathy following typh Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The pain and swelling of the knee joint are most likely reactive arthropathy of knee joint secondary to typical infection. It may last from 7 days to 3months. I would suggest you to get any X-ray AP and lateral view of the involved knee joint to rule out any gross joint pathology and also ultrasound scan done to rule out any joint collection. if there is no bony involvement as see by X-ray and no joint effusion,then there seems no cause of cause of concern . Majority of times no abnormality is.picked up and joint pain is serlogical manifestation of post typhoid fever. I would suggest you following for relief from pain 1. Slow graded mobilization of the joint 2. NSAID anti-inflammatory drug Like Ketorolac may provide much needed relief 3. Hot water fomentation will also help I.hope it helped I would be glad to assist you if you need any further support Wishing you speedy recovery Take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: Recommend medicine for knee pain in typhoid fever 26 minutes later
Dear doctor , Thanks for the reply. I have taken X ray & doctor shows it is all right. Please let me know NSAID Antiflammatory drugs . Now I am taking the medicines which i mentioned in the history. Can I proceed these drugs. Pls suggest .
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Piroxicam for breakthrough pain Detailed Answer: Greetings Do continue reading the medicine as prescribed. For breakthrough pain you can also take Tablet Piroxicam. Remember it's self limiting. Hot water fomentation will also be beneficial. If you need any further assistance kindly let me know Take care Regards DR T Shobha