Recommend faster recovery procedure for rupture pain of the anterior talofibular ligament?

Hi, You had answered a question about my daughter awhile back & was very helpful. It has been 9 weeks now & my daughter is still in a boot & depending on crutches to lessen the pain of a rupture of the anterior talofibular ligament. She is under a physicians care & doing physical therapy. Do you have any recommendations for her to help her recover faster. Would like her to get off of these crutches. Especially now that winter is here & snow is on the ground.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi.Its a just a matter of 2 weeks with exercise Detailed Answer: Hello madam.Hope your doing well. I am very happy to hear you and its my pleasure to hear that your daughter is recovering well. I totally understand your concern. I agree with you that she has completed 9 weeks now on conservative therapy which means that she has crossed acute phase (which lasts for 7 weeks). Maximum benefit is achieved in most subjects by 10 weeks with active rehab.20% of them continue to have symptoms secondary to either a functional or mechanical instability though! I would like to know if your daughter is doing/continuing stretching exercises and exercises like one leg standing or wobble board training with adequate support if required(part of active rehab)? You may have to escort her if you feel she might hurt herself going in the snow.I thank you for your patience. I know this is quiet pressing/painful to see depending on crutches.Encourage her to be active and only this can hasten her recovery process. Hope this helps her.