Ask a Homeopath   »  

Recommend any supplement for hand tremors and teeth chattering

I have a friend with hand tremors and teeth chattering. Could you recommend any supplements or herbs for this. She doesn't want to use drugs. Would GABA help.
thanks, XXXX. XXXX
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Alternative Medicine
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
GABA not indicated for this, neurologist opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I am afraid it is important to be very sure that the tremors your friend has are actually essential tremors. I presume a detail neurological review and examination has been done, and it has been revealed to be essential tremor. If other wise, its worth getting the opinion of a neurologist once again.

I am afraid supplements or herbs have not been proven scientifically and there is lack of evidence. The commonest and effective therapies used for this condition are Primidone and propranolol . These drugs do provide amelioration of health status in most cases. More than 50 % of patients will improve.

GABA has not proven effective in management of tremors, and it is not recommended for treatment of this condition. In my opinion, it is not a good candidate to use for treatment.

I suggest a complete blood screen to test for blood Calcium levels, Magnesium and Vitamin B complex vitamins in blood should be done. Deficiencies in such substances do at times mask certain symptoms related to essential tremor, and if well managed, could lead to appreciable improvement.

My suggestion is revisiting a neurologist for a proper review. Primidone and propranolol remain the best proven effective therapies. GABA is not recommended by the scientific community. Surgery at times might be done, in case all therapies do fail. This imposes however a proper neurological follow up. Thanks and and hope this helps.

Please feel free asking follow up questions through this milieu in case you have any specific concerns, I will be glad to contribute. Kind regards as I wish your friend the best of health.

Dr Rogers