Recently not getting proper erection. Could this be due to overweight and stress?

from last few days m not getting proper errection.......and 2day mrng i masturbated but....penis ws not properly errected...and now i tried many times masturbating but no errection taking place........wat might be the causes????
according to me stress or over weight may be the m not getting even from afternoon 0.1% of errcetion and thts the problem for me please advice me wat to do....? is this temporary....
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Erection do not get affected by masturbation in long term. If you have recent onset poor erection during masturbation then, your problem will solve after few days of stoppage of masturbation.

Erectile dysfunction can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.
Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

What I can understand from your query is that you are not able to sustain hard erection. You are 22 years of age and at this age, any difficulty in getting or maintain an erection is due to psychological reasons in most of the cases. I hope you are not taking any alcohol or smoking as sometimes these can also cause erectile dysfunction.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you:
-Reduce your weight. Join some exercise program. As you are obese than it may take some time for improvement. Obesity is one of the common reason for ED.
-Quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any)
-Stop worrying excessively.
-Eat a healthy diet: fruits, milk and eggs
-Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can also plan to some short vacation for honeymoon, which will relieve your stress. Yoga and meditation will help you in stress.
-Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise (like: Jogging, skipping and cycling) daily. It will increase blood flow all over body and will reduce stress.

There is also need to rule out certain medical conditions which can affect erection. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes. For that comprehensive evaluation and tests, help of other specialist may also needed.

Apart from that in person evaluation and examination by psychiatrist may be necessary in your case to identify and treat psychological cause of ED.

First follow steps mentioned by me for 1 month, if there is no change, it is better to get evaluated and investigated by physician and psychiatrist to rule out above conditions.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Recently not getting proper erection. Could this be due to overweight and stress? 11 minutes later
okkkk sir, Thanks alot for ur positive answer i ws expecting this only.......i'll follow the healthy routine hereafter and will stop masturbating..........i never smoked n i dnt take alcohol..........stress, worrying excessively and weight gain might me the reasons...and from last few days i ws feeling like cold and fever so that might be the problem.....
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

If your problem started after cold and fever, then it may be also reason for that, as medical conditions further exacerbate stress, which lead to erectile dysfunction.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Recently not getting proper erection. Could this be due to overweight and stress? 6 minutes later
i last point seems like my penis is in shrink position all the it use to happens to everyone whenever a person goes into cold shrink position all the time might not be the any issue rite....? and thanks alot for the help n m definately gonna recommend your services to all my friends and family.......
thank you very much sir.....
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 minutes later

Thanks for feedback.
Shrink position is normal and not a problem

Wish you good health.