Recently had an ultrasound done of the pelvic region. Could you review the following results?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i recently had an ultrsound done of the pelvic region. could you review the following results: prostate volume 19.7 ml; 3.5cmx3.7cmx3.0cm what does this indicate
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.

These are prostate measurements and considering your results,you have completely normal prostate size and volume so you dont have to be concerned at all.
If there was voulume >35 and size >4.2cm then it would be enlarged prostate,hypertrophy or may indicate tumor.
YOur results are very good and you dont have to be worried about prostate. If you notice urinating difficulties or pain in pelvis,you can repeat ultrasound, but for now all you need is prostate ultrasound check in 1.5-2 years.
WIsh you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Recently had an ultrasound done of the pelvic region. Could you review the following results? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your response; I still have abdominal bloating and pressure most of the time in the evening and in the following morning I am ok again. So I have ruled out prostate problems, but I will ask my doctor for an mri or a cat scan- i am overdue for a colonoscopy too and my father died from colon cancer many years ago.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Well,prostate issue usually dont cause abdominal symptoms.
Most common causes of your abdominal discomfort are gallbladder stones and gastritis so it should be evaluated first. Of course, colon cancer must be ruled out by colonoscopy(at least 1x in 5-7 year) especailly considering your genetic predisposition.
CT is is usually more appropriate for abdominal cavity imaging than MRI,but endoscopic tests(colonoscopy and gastroscopy) should be dones since CT cant visualize pathology inside the bowel. Regards