Recent blood tests showed low platelet count. Should I be concerned?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
I had a recent round of blood tests and my platelet count came back low. Never had that before. It was 124 where the norm is 140-400. Is it something to be concerned about? I'm also having some surgery in Sept, thus my question.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 13 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Your platelet count is borderline low as you point out. However, this is unlikely to cause problems with surgery. It would be advisable to get it re-checked to ensure it is no lower closer to your operation date. Platelet counts as low as 80 can be well tolerated and not cause problems at operation.
I hope this has been of help. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Recent blood tests showed low platelet count. Should I be concerned? 8 minutes later
What might be the cause of this?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 15 minutes later
It is usually related to an immune reaction against the platelets leading to the destruction of platelets. However, with platelets of 124, this would be a very mild reaction needing no treatment and with very little likelihood of it causing you any problems.
I must add that I cannot confirm this is the correct diagnosis as I am only commenting on an isolated result. But in the presence of the other results being normal this would be a logical thought.
Hope this helps.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB. FRCA

Follow-up: Recent blood tests showed low platelet count. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
What might be the cause/causes of this?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 6 hours later
It's unknown why some people have a mild immune reaction to platelets and are otherwise well. Medicine does not always have the answers. However, this level of platelets is not a seriously low level and is unlikely to cause you any problems.
Dr K A Pottinger