Received proton treatment for prostate cancer. Now experiencing erectile dysfunction. Related?

Jul 2016

At age 84 what % of men would be experiencing ED? Has proton treatment for prostate cancer been linked to ED? I received proton treatment for prostate cancer @ XXXXXX 2 years ago
& it apparently was successful as my psa is now less than 2. Eight months ago I began to experience ED & within 4 months it became total .
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone Proton Beam Radiation therapy for cancer of the prostate 2 years back and has developed problem of erectile dysfunction now.

This modality of radiation for treatment of cancers of various organs has developed very recently and has been practiced in few centers in United States.
Though they claim it to destroy only cancer cell sparing normal tissue, the results and side effects are at the same parameter compared to conventional radiation therapy.

The problem of erectile dysfunction you are facing now is known side effect of the radiation therapy.

.Your serum PSA estimated very recently is 2 ng which suggest that you are totally from cancer of the prostate. Please get your serum Testosterone level done and consult qualified Oncologist or Radiation Oncologist for evaluation and further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Received proton treatment for prostate cancer. Now experiencing erectile dysfunction. Related? 28 hours later
The other part of my question was "what percentage(approximately) of 84 year old men experience ED even though they have had no prostate treatments" .In other words " what is the prevalence of ED among men 84 years old and who have not had any prostate or other treatment that could trigger that problem". I appreciate your comment re: the claim of proton centres that the treatment creates no collateral damage. I was sceptical of that claim ,but I saw too many other men suffer very severe & immediate damage from surgical and/ or conventional radioactive radiation treatment .So while I have not escaped "damage free" , from
what I have seen proton is still far superior to all other options I researched
I should also mention that while proton therapy has many critics & has been slow
to "catch-on",there are now about 6 or 7 proton treatment centres in USA , & at least 1 in Europe & I heard that 1 is planned in Korea.Of course the treatment
has many more applications than prostate cancer . What I saw being done at XXXXXX was very impressive.
Thanks for your prompt response.
before making the decision about proton.Nevertheless , XXXXXX will hear from me.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Erectile Dysfunction is common after the age of 75 irrespective of any pathology in prostate. I personalty think it as a nature's rule .

However it may be due to combined effect of radiation and natural reduction in serum testosterone level which is reduced at the rate of 1% after the age of 60 years.

Serum PSA is indicator of Cancer prostate which has cured completely in your case. Serum PSA has no role to play in penile erection.

Thanks and regards.

Dr. Patil