Received positive urinalysis for Temazepam. Have used only dietary supplements. Is it safe?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am in the United States Army and I have just received a positive Urinalysis for temazepam. I do not use prescription medications, and I am wondering how could this be. The only medications I have used are over the counter dietary supplements and your occasional common cold medications. Please help me the military is all I have and I can't get kicked out for something I did not do.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
False positive test is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there, thanks for asking. Over the counter supplements, especially the herbal ones can interact with many tests. Herbal medications have many substances which could cause such a false positive thing. Furthermore, the tests have sensitivity and specificity of below 100 percent. I suggest that you ask them to take another blood sample from you and wait for the result. Let me know if you have any other question. Best of luck.

Follow-up: Received positive urinalysis for Temazepam. Have used only dietary supplements. Is it safe? 31 minutes later
I was notified 45 days after the test was administered, is there anything else that I can do to prove my innocence

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
False positive is a thing you can say.

Detailed Answer:
You can mention that it could become positive falsely in small proportion of the tests and ask to repeat it at any time they want.