Received penicillin injection in buttocks for syphilis. Having pain and weakness while walking. Suggest?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My name is XXXXX. I just recieved a penicillin injection in both buttocks as a treament of syphillis. It was extremely early stage. It's been almost 24 hours and feel pain in both buttocks and kind of weak when I walk. My legs kind of feel like spaghetti. Is that normal?
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 1 hour later

The drug administered is correct for syphilis treatment. A single dose of benzathine penicillin G is adequate for early syphilis.

Yes, some kind of uneasiness is sometimes complained by people receiving injections in buttock. Injections in buttock is given in the upper and outer quadrant. If your symptoms are more debilitating, revisit your physician. He can examine the site of injection and advise you specific treatment.

In the interim hot/warm compresses over the injected site can be helpful.

Hope I am clear.