Received oral sex. Less than detection limit seen on real time pcr hiv test. Any advice?

Excellent
Question
I recieved an unprotected oral sex 38 days back. I was only the reciever and the incident happened for like 30 secs. I took a HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST after 30 days and the result came as "less than detection limit" which was told as "undetectable/negative". Can i take these results as confirmatory and move on in life. I am very confused. Pls advice.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 43 minutes later

Good that you got yourself tested for HIV.
Receiving oral sex is considered negligible risk ,which means that although an exchange of fluids is involved, there is very minimum chance of transmission.

The RNA PCR test detects the genetic material of HIV itself, and has a window period of 2-3 weeks post exposure. Since you got it done at 4 weeks, it can be considered as highly sensitive.

The Western Blot test is usually only used for confirmatory testing.This test is 99.9% accurate after 4-6 weeks .

Both HIV tests are extremely accurate.
As you have been tested as negative there is no need to worry.
However, it is still recommended that you re-test at 3 months (12 weeks) in order to have completely conclusive results.

Hope this answers your query. You can write to me for further clarifications.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Received oral sex. Less than detection limit seen on real time pcr hiv test. Any advice? 17 minutes later
thank you so much for your reply doctor.

how accurate are these PCR HIV PCR real time QUANTATIVE TEST? Are there any possibility for the results to change? Between have you heard of hiv getting transmitted by receiving oral sex ? Does saliva transmit hiv? pls advice.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 26 minutes later
I appreciate your prompt reply.

PCR test is highly accurate. But currently there are no clear standards set for using PCR tests to detect infection. HIV PCR tests are only approved for monitoring viral load in infected persons.
PCR testing should ALWAYS be confirmed with antibody testing after the window period has elapsed.
The Western Blot test is usually used for confirmatory testing.This test is 99.9% accurate after 4-6 weeks
So i recommend you to get a western Blot test done.

Cases have not been reported regarding transmission of HIV on receiving oral sex.
HIV, according to experts, is not normally transmitted through saliva. Transmission of the virus from the host is possible when saliva is mixed with blood.

Hope this answers your query.
If you do not have any more queries, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

regards,
Dr Nilofer