Received cortisone injection in lower back, noticed blood in stool. Injection caused this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I received a cortisone injection in my lower back today and noticed a little blood (minor) in my stool tonight for the first ever. Could the injection have caused that and should I be worried? I'm going to bed in 10 min. but will read your answer in the morning. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
An epidural cortisone injection acts locally in the spine and has a local stools.
Since this has happened for the first time, you can ignore this episode.
If there is a repeated blood loss while passing the stools then the cause needs to be evaluated.
The most common cause could be:
1. Hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels in the rectum or anus and can sometimes bleed. Painless rectal bleeding with a bowel movement is a common symptom of hemorrhoids. It can be painful as sometimes.

2. Anal fissure — is a tear in the lining of the anus, the opening where feces are excreted. Anal fissures can cause bleeding and a sensation of tearing or burning during or after a bowel movement.

Other rare causes of rectal bleeding — There are many other causes of rectal bleeding, including colon cancer, colon polyps, colitis, and diverticulitis.

Sometimes if you eat any food like beetroot, red gelatin, popsicles, tomato juice etc. you might have red colored stools.

Eat a high fiber diet and drink lots of fluids to avoid constipation. It is better to wait for a few days and then if it still continues you will need to get examined by a Physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.