Received chlymadia through oral sex. Tried doxyline, azithromycin. Bacteria still existent. Why?

Dermatologist
Question
Hı ı am man and received chlymadia through oral sex from females throat my urulogist tried doxyline treatment and ı used doxyline 3 weeks but it didnt turn my tests to negative. Then he suggest to use azithromycin treatment. I used 1000mg dosage week 4 then another 1000mg treatment week 5 I received my lab test back it is stıll shows positive but bacteria level is lower than the exiting test. I want some suggestions.

My doctor did the all other STD tests and all came back negative except Chlymadia.

He is saying bacteria is resistance to doxyline and azithromycin and it will take longer time to cure.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 33 minutes later

Chlamydia infection at times can be a resistant one.
In case if the investigation results are positive after the treatment with mentioned drugs, your dermatologist should try Inj Ceftriaxone - a single shot Intra muscular. Most of the infections - bacterial sexually transmitted infections can be treated with this single shot. Discuss about this option with your treating physician.

And in case the test is positive even after ceftriaxone, you are advised to get a HIV test too (bacterial resistance should not be taken lightly especially when it is a sexually transmitted infection).

It's always better to get a thorough investigation done as early as possible.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with the reply.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Received chlymadia through oral sex. Tried doxyline, azithromycin. Bacteria still existent. Why? 21 minutes later
Thanks for your response on tuesday ı got the HIV test and it came negative.

So you recommend Ceftriaxone shot to treat the bacterial infection I will ask my doctor about this option

So why do you thing usual azithromycin and doxyline antibiotics are not responding to treatment.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 22 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

It is common to see such cases in our clinical practices.
Sometimes a bacterial infection does not respond to a first line drug, but do respond to a higher antibiotic because of bacterial resistance or other reasons. Though it is difficult to predict the reason for such behavior, genetic remodeling of the microbes is known to be the cause for such activity.

There is no need to worry. Discuss with your dermatologist to consider the options.

Hope, I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with the reply.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Received chlymadia through oral sex. Tried doxyline, azithromycin. Bacteria still existent. Why? 1 hour later
Thanks for your response ı have final questions to answer.

My HIV test came negative and inncident happend 7.5 weeks ago. My doctor told me no need to re HIV test again. He told me blood test are really accurate he think nothing will be change in few months.

What do you thing ? / I would like to learn your response. /

Finally what happens if Ceftriaxone shot will not respond the treatment.

Thanks i will wait your response.

Mehmet

Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 47 hours later
Dear Mehmet.

Thanks for writing back.

Its good to have a repeat test after couple of months.

There are lot many options to treat resistant bacterial strains and hence if at all Ceftriaxone does not do you any good, we will think about other options- but don't be pessimistic, you will get a cure with the same.

Hope I have given answers to all your queries and apprehensions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Best Regards.

Dr.Rohit Batra