Received allergy immunizations. Will I transfer allergens if I touch the injection site?

Grief, are you kidding? I have an adjuster named Settle. Anyway, I receive allergy immunizations every week. I'm 60, a female. If I touch the site after injection and then touch myself elsewhere, will I transfer the allergens? How about if I scratch it?

Also, is there preservative in the saline they add to the injection?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I am wondering whom you are addressing "Grief, are you kidding?" as I do not see any query to which someone has responded.

You will not transfer the allergen to other part of the body if you touch the injection site and then another part. Scratching will have no effect as the injection has been given below the skin and has started spreading in the bdoy.

It is difficult to say what preservative is being used for the injection till the composition is known.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Received allergy immunizations. Will I transfer allergens if I touch the injection site? 16 hours later
Thank you for your response. One allergist said the transfer definitely would occur. Another, my current, said it would not unless some oozed out (therefore place a band aid at injection site). So I have one yes, one maybe/maybe not and yours, which said no.

Are you a Board Certified Allergist or Dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 hours later

Thank you for your update.

Answering your last query first I am neither an Allergist nor a Dermatologist. I am a Pediatrician who deals with cases of allergies.

Once a substance has been injected in the body it gets distributed via the blood vessels and the lymphatics and it then acts to give you the relief that you want. Following withdrawal of the needle from the injection site, the site seals. Preseuming some medicine oozes out it is not going to cross the skin barrier. If it was supposed to cross the skin barrier then it could have been administered as a skin cream instead of getting the shots.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

Wishing you all the best.