Received a plate for a fractured jaw, wisdom teeth removed. Can I take marijuana as pain killer?

ENT Specialist
Exactly 1 week ago I received a plate for a fractured jaw and had 3 wisdom teeth removed. I posess a medicinal marijuana card and wondered since I am against pain medications can I use Marijuana as a substitute
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

If the pain is moderate in intensity, it is always advisable to use anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac twice or thrice a day.

Narcotic medicines are usually advocated when the pain is unbearable; conditions such as cancer related pain, polytrauma and those patients who are not benefited with or allergic to anti-inflammatory medicines.

If you have already tried or allergic to anti-inflammatory medicines, you can use medicinal marijuana, but it has to be used for a shorter duration (1-2 days) and only under the guidance of a medical practitioner.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon