Received a needle-poke exposure from a monkey that had tested negative b virus in past. Any thoughts?

Hi there, about 3 weeks ago I received a needle-poke exposure from a monkey, one that has had negative b-virus tests in the past. I know its rare in humans, but I cant help but be nervous about getting it. The exposure site was on my right thumb, I havent had any pain or tingling or anything at the site. Some headaches on and off the last few days, but thats normal for me. I did just come back down with a horrible sore throat the night before last, and now its a stuffy nose and working its way into my chest, but no fever. I know that flu-like symptoms are a sign of b-virus and it can move very fast in humans. This could be from laying around all morning, but my left leg is also a little tingly, mostly from my knee down. I do have some knee pain when Im walking around, but thats not the first time Ive had it. Just wondering if its something that I should go to the doctor and tell them about it or Im just freaking myself out for nothing. Ive been having anxiety about it for over a week now, so I know it could just be that too.
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Well you have mentioned that the Monkey had tested negative for the B virus in the past. That it self is qute reassuring.

Herper Simian B virus infection are rare in humans but are important as such infection are quite serious in humans.

Now, in your case, it is highly unlikely that you would have got infected as the source was negative. Also, this happened almost 3 weeks ago. Now even if you have had infection, it would have manifested in severe way in the initial 1st week of exposure.

The sore throat and other symptoms of yours are non specific. So please dont worry.
It is unlikely that the infection would have persisted for 3 weeks without progression.

Do consult your doctor for testing for serology if you want to be 100% sure.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Received a needle-poke exposure from a monkey that had tested negative b virus in past. Any thoughts? 2 days later
Thank you so much! I just have one more thing, probably unrelated to the B Virus (hopefully!) I just got home about 10 minutes ago and as soon as I walked into the door I started getting a little dizzy. Im currently just laying on the couch, but whenever I move or cough (from that cold) I feel dizzy again. And by dizzy I mean that it feels like the walls are moving, not like Im moving. Or like I just got off an amusement park ride, but Im not feeling nauseous or anything like that. It came on suddenly and is now just there. Im hoping it will go away here soon...the longer I lay here the better it gets. I know an inner ear problem can cause something like this, and my left inner ear has been hurting on and off today, is it something I should go talk to my doctor about if its still there tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later

Your symptoms ar suggestive of Vertigo. It is usually due to pronlems related to inner ear as you have mentioned.

Since you have been having ear pains, its likely the cause.

You must consult your ENT doctor for an ear examination. Even if it subsides.

Take, Flunarrazine tablets for few days if its is persisting. It will help you.

Wish you good health.

Dr Kiran