Received TDAP vaccination two times. Is this dangerous?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I just got a TDAP vaccination this morning. I got one in 2008 but forgot about it so that means I have received it twice in under four years. Is this dangerous?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 39 minutes later
Please do not worry at all.
You are at no danger or risk due to the inadvertant extra dose of the vaccine.
The tdap vaccine is given in adults as a single dose to protect against tetanus , diphtheria , and pertusis infection.This is enough for giving strong immune protection to the adult. However in case of any future accidents or injuries with serious open wounds an additional dose of TT ( tetanus toxoid vaccine ) is advisable that time .

The vaccine will not cause any harm if two doses have been given to an adult unknowingly nor will it cause extra protection . So please do not worry and nothing needs to be done just because you took an extra dose.

If you are a healthy person and have no known allergies to the vaccine and had no sideffects from the prior dose it's unlikely that you'll face any problem this time and no precautions need to be taken as such .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Received TDAP vaccination two times. Is this dangerous? 17 minutes later
Is it okay to have a few beers tonight after recieving the TDAP vaccine this morning or are the risks/precautions that need to be taken with the interaction bewteen this TDAP vaccination and alcohol.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 31 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
There are no specific interactions between alcohol and tdap vaccine .
Likewise there are no specific restrictions in consuming alcohol after tdap shot .
However many professionals personally recommend to refrain from excessive alcohol consumption after vaccination since it may mask many symptoms which may be a danger in case the patient has a sideffect or allergic reaction to the vaccine .
Also the interactive effect of excessive alcohol and the vaccine might not be studied as such and hence it's always better to be safe than sorry.

So I would say that there is no known risk or contraindication in consuming alcohol after tdap shot but it's best to refrain from excessive consumption .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Regards.