Reasons for elevated WBC. Other counts normal

I just had labs done for surgery and my WBC was 11.6, my eosinophils was 0 and my lympocytes was 18. I know the WBC is a little elevated and the others are low. The rest of my CBC was normal. What could cause this? In the past this happened and I was on Lithium and my doctor said that would affect my CBC but I have been off Lithium for months.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 49 minutes later

You are planned to undergo a surgery and incidentally you have been found to have deranged values of Complete Blood Count (CBC). This much variation is very common findings and is without any major consequences.

These CBC values are derived from a gross average from a mass of healthy population’s CBC; SO YOU CAN GUESS HOW MANY HEALTHY people could have values like yours.

And you are pre-operative patient so it is also possible that there is some inflammation which has raised the whit blood count (WBC) to 11.6 due to higher neutrophils counts and the lymphocyte percent appearing deceptively low. So you need not be concerned with these values.

I hope that answered your query. Let me know if you need any more information.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Reasons for elevated WBC. Other counts normal 1 hour later
My neutrophils are normal and my eosinophils are 0 and lymphocytes 18.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
The lymphocyte is 18% of 11.6 that makes 2088/cumm absolute count, the eosinophils are 1-2% but due to close resemblance with bilobed neutrophils, it's so common to get laboratory errors as well.
Your absolute lymphocyte counts are fine.
At this point, you would not need to worry at all. These parameters are not suggestive of anything that we should be wary of during surgery.
If you have any symptoms, then get a repeat CBC and Peripheral blood smear done to cross check.
I hope that answers your query.