Reasons for decrease in motility of sperms, treatment

May 2013
i had SA one year back. sperm count was 60 mil. per ml and motility was 60%, But now the count is 56 Mil per ml and motility is only 6.5%. my age is 39 and weight is 70 kg and height is 5.7". what can be the reason for decrease in motility. Is it due to heat. what is treatment.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later
thanks for the query.

Your sperm count is normal but motility is low the condition is called asthenospermia.

The possible causes for this are,

- defective sperm production due to hormonal disorder,
-injury to seminiferous tubules of the testes,
-diseases affecting the testes like mumps,
- deficiency of nutrients like zinc, vitamin C, selenium etc,
- excessive heat in working environment or using hot tubs etc,
- habits like smoking.

There is no totally effective treatment for asthenospermia,

after consulting XXXXXXX under his guidance you can try these things,

-cause should be treated
-drugs like clomiphene, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, HMG and HCG injections,
-high protein diet to be taken,
-if improvement will not occur with above measures alternative therapy like In vitro fertilization can be followed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.
Follow-up: Reasons for decrease in motility of sperms, treatment 22 hours later
I wanted to know whether the decrease in mobility is temporary (one year back it was 60%). my sperm morphology is only 1% (normal). Is it temporary or permanent. is it curable.The SA was done after 10 days abstinence. please tell whether long abstinence is the reason for low mobility?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

temporary or permanent nature of decrease in motility depends on the cause which caused it.

abnormal morphology with decreased motility is called teratoasthenospermia, the most common cause for this is presence of bilateral varicocele and other causes are as I told before.

three days of abstinence is enough for semen analysis, semen after ten days abstinence contains aged sperms that also may be responsible for abnormal findings.

so you better repeat the test, if same abnormalities noted consult XXXXXXX get examined and take treatment accordingly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.