Reason for white patches in the hairs

hi can any one tell me why i have white hair patches in my hair on my head its been afew years now but getting wore ?
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Patchy well demarcated greying of hair is called "Poliosis ".

Such patches can be seen on the scalp or any hair growing areas.Here the melanocytes (pigment producing cells) will be defective presenting the inability to produce any black pigment leading to localised greying of the hair.

Underlying causes like genetic, metabolic, infective , traumatic etc could present with Poliosis.A detailed examination is essential to get some clues in finding the underlying cause.

The cure involves treating the underlying condition.Hence do consult a Dermatologist and an XXXXXXX medicine specialist who's integrated approach can help you in getting rid of the patches.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.