Reason for white patch on penis shaft with harder skin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Dr. I was shaving my private area 2 days ago and when the hair was removed i noticed a white patch on my penis shaft. the area near it (beneath) is kind of reddish and the skin is a bit harder than the rest of my penis skin. it wasn't there when i shaved the time before that, Im going to attach a picture for you to take a look at it if you may please. its on the beginning mid of my penis shaft from under. P.s. I have a partner that i encounter sex with for 4 years. She is the only one i have sex with and the same goes with her case(i am the only one she encounter sex with). on that matter i don't wear protection because i don't have multiple sex parters and i never had multiple sex partners at the same time. but i do masturbate a lot on a daily basis sometimes more than ones with baby oil and she knows. Thank you Dr. and I'll be waiting for your diagnostic. have a good day and thanks again.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: LSeA with Focal Vitiligo Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM I would keep a possibility of Lichen Simplex Chronicus(LSeA) with Focal Vitiligo. I could see a patch of depigmented skin and the skin adjacent to it is erythematous to violaceous with prominent skin markings(thickened skin). Although you did'nt mention but i guess the thickened skin must be itchy as well. It is not an STD and therefore no question of getting it from your partner. Vitiligo (white patch) can start at the site of itching as a result of koebnerization(trauma of itching). If i was your treating doctor i would have asked you to apply a mid potent steroid cream e.g mometasone cream once daily. Mometasone would be effective in both LSeA as well as Vitiligo. An OTC antihistamine e.g Loratadine or Fexofenadine once daily would help in symptomatic control of itching. take care regards

Follow-up: Reason for white patch on penis shaft with harder skin? 9 minutes later
Thank you for replying so soon Dr. The thing is that its not itching me at all and im not scratching it. I only noticed it when i shaved the area, could it be the same thing to what you said? and is it curable or is it staying like that forever? can i have unprotected sex or is it infectious?

Brief Answer: LSeA with Focal Vitiligo Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes it is definitely LSeA with Focal Vitiligo. It is very much curable. Various treatment modalities include topical mid-potent steroid and topical immunomodulators like tacrolimus. If i was your treating doctor i would have recommended a topical mid potent steroid once daily e.g Mometasone furoate cream. You need to apply it for a month or so and then switch to either a lesser potency steroid like fluticasone OR to a topical immunomodulator e.g Tacrolimus. The thickened skin should improve noticeably within 4 weeks with mometasone furoate but the white patch would take a little longer, say anywhere from 2-4 months. It is not communicable. It is not an infection. It is an autoimmune condition and cannot be transmitted sexually. In other words you can have unprotected sex with your partner. take care regards

Follow-up: Reason for white patch on penis shaft with harder skin? 31 minutes later
so the Mometasone furoate cream or the lesser potency ( Tacrolimus ) are both cures for LSeA and Focal Vitiligo right DR.? (after stopping the Mometasone furoate cream and switching to Tacrolimus) i just have to continue using the Tacrolimus Longer for maybe 2-4 monthes period for the vitiligo until the white patch disappears? sorry if im asking so many questions, but you are making my worrying less with everything answer to my question and thank you very much for that.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: You got it right Mr. XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Yes, Mr. XXXXXXX Mometasone furoate for 4 weeks and then switch over to topical tacrolimus. Regards

Follow-up: Reason for white patch on penis shaft with harder skin? 1 hour later
Thank you very much Dr. Kakkar S.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are Welcome Detailed Answer: Thanks for posting your concern at HealthcareMagic regards