Reason for swollen and itchy labia with peeling vaginal lips?

Question
I have swollen and very itchy labia. Also, swollen and peeling vaginal lips.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

The cause for your swollen and itchy labia with peeling vaginal lips could be one of the following.

1. Allergic reaction to some kind of substance, fabric, scented or colored toilet paper, local cleanser, lotion, gel, soap or bathing product.

2. An infection, due to the nails or a bacterial or fungal vaginal infection. If you have accompanying urinary symptoms, it could be UTI (genital infection in the area, such as fungal infection or bacterial infection, could have been worsened by abrasion during masturbation.

3. It is common for the labial area to be sore and swollen for a day after vigorous intercourse/ rubbing during masturbation- called as vulvovaginitis.

You need to consult a gynecologist for exact diagnosis and treatment.

For the time being, please use ice packs, soothing gels like aloe vera and if itching is a problem, you can use Vagisil anti itch cream.

Also avoid abrasion and friction, excessive washing or rubbing of the affected area.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Reason for swollen and itchy labia with peeling vaginal lips? 12 hours later
My vaginal ips and labia have swollen really bad. Then I used monostat 7 and the swelling goes down for a bit. Also, tiny little cuts everywhere that itch. So, I have swollen labia and lips, tiny cuts, itchiness, and peeling. Any ideas?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms you have are likely to be due to vulvovaginitis, which is more commonly encountered due to a mixed- bacterial and fungal infection. Oral antibiotics and painkillers are needed for proper relief. You need to consult your gynecologist who can prescribe you the most appropriate antibiotics after a detailed examination.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.